Who doesn’t like ice cream? It is something we all love to taste, and it is the perfect thing to have when you are sitting outside on a hot day. Sure, you can go out and buy your ice cream from someone else. It isn’t that expensive after all, but it pales in comparison when you can make your own ice cream. Making your own ice cream is a very rewarding experience, and it is a very tasty experience. Having that ice cream that you made can also save you money since you can create so much more ice cream yourself for the same price as a few cones from a stand.
It is important that when you are looking to get your own ice cream, and to make your own ice cream, you find the ice cream maker that is going to work best for you. You want to get a really best ice cream maker that will save you money, but also make you excellent ice cream. Ice cream isn’t just freezing cream, it is an art, and the best ice cream maker can do it for you.
We will get to the best ice cream maker soon, but we will also look at five others that are really great and are good options for you.
Best Ice Cream Maker 2017 for you
Cuisinart ICE-100 Compressor Ice Cream and Gelato Maker
This is a simply fantastic ice cream maker. Priced relatively affordable, it allows for a lot of ice cream making, while also being efficient and easy-to-use. It has a sleek design to it that will blend it with any kitchen today, and it has high reviews online for its quality.
With this ice cream maker, you get:
- A commercial quality compressor that is fully automatic.
- The bowl within the compressor allows for 1.25 quarts.
- There are two paddles that come with the compressor. One is a gelato paddle that will help the maker create authentic gelato.
- The design of the maker is very user-friendly, which includes a 60-minute countdown timer, that features touchpad controls and an easy-to-read blue-LCD readout.
- After the time goes off, the 10-minute cool feature will keep the ice cream and the gelato cool after the timer has gone off. This is important in case you don’t get to the maker in time.
Whynter ICM-200LS Stainless Steel Ice Cream Maker
Priced more expensive than other ice cream makers, there is a reason for this though. It is one of the best ice cream makers on the market today. It has a beautiful housing to it, and it is very easy-to-use. It has safety features in place, and many are happy with the excellent maker.
With this ice cream maker, you get:
- The stainless steel housing prevents rusting, but also makes it very easy to clean.
- You do not have to worry about pre-freezing, because this maker is self-contained.
- The bowl removes easily, as does the blade, so the cleaning is extremely simple and you can easily store everything.
- The audible timer is built-in and highly reliable.
- There is a special Motor Protection Function, which will shut off to prevent any sort of damage when the mixture freezes completely. This is actually a very important feature to have.
White Mountain Ice Cream Maker
This ice cream maker is really quite fantastic. Affordable and also it has an authentic charm to it. It looks like one of the ice cream makers from the 19th century, but at the same time works like a modern-day ice cream maker. For a unique look, and a great ice cream maker, then this is the best ice cream maker for you.
Some of the great features of this ice cream maker include, but are not limited to:
- The bucket can produce up to six-quarters of ice cream, more than three times what you typically get out of an ice cream maker.
- The dasher-system is triple motion action, helping to make your ice cream very smooth and very efficiently.
- The universal motor runs at 12,000 rpm, which means your ice cream will be produced very quickly, but also it will be incredibly smooth with no lumps in it.
- The bucket may look like wood, but the inside is stainless steel. This makes it very easy to clean, and it will not rust or promote the creation of bacteria within it.
- The bucket itself is highly durable, with strong galvanized hoops designed to keep it running for years, without falling apart.
Breville BCI600XL Smart Scoop Ice Cream Maker
This ice cream maker comes with everything you would expect from a top-of-the-line maker. It is more expensive than most, but that extra cost is for good reason. Easy to use and designed to look great in the kitchen, you will get a lot out of this excellent ice cream maker. Some of its best features include:
- 12 hardness settings including frozen yogurt, gelato and ice cream.
- It has a compressor that is self-refrigerating, which allows you to make ice cream very quickly.
- It is fully-automatic but also has manual functionality, this allows you to keep the ice cream cool for up to three hours.
- The pre-cool setting ensure that it operates at optimum temperature for your ice cream making.
Lello 4080 Musso Lussino 1.5 Quart Ice Cream Maker
This is another excellent option for an ice cream maker. Larger than most, and much more expensive, it is one of the best on the market. This is an excellent ice cream maker if you have the space for it, and if you plan on making a lot of ice cream in the future. If you have a large family or just want to make ice cream to sell yourself, this is one of your best options.
- It has a 1.25-quart capacity bowl that will freeze three quarts of ice cream every single hour.
- It is completely automatic and one of the few ice cream makers that allows you to pour all the ingredients into the bowl and have the ice cream made automatically.
- The timer controls allow for a creation of different types of frozen desserts.
- Everything is made from stainless steel so there is no rust and no major clean up.
- It measures at one foot by one foot by a foot and a half and weighs 38 pounds, so it is a heavy duty ice cream maker.
Is it worth it to buy?
The typical ice cream maker is going to cost you between $100 and $300. That may seem like a lot of money to spend when you can buy an ice cream for about $3 or $4. Considering that you can use the ice cream maker for years, all you need to do is make 100 or so ice cream cones over the course of five years and you will have paid for the maker easily. Chances are you will pay for it this way within a year or two. There are other reasons to go with an ice cream maker over buying ice cream though. Here are just a few:
Taste: Ice cream is a really great tasting desert. The great thing about the best ice cream maker is that you can add in the ingredients that you want to the ice cream. You are only limited by your imagination. The taste of homemade ice cream is also very smooth, and much better than processed ice cream you get elsewhere, including at an ice cream stand.
Health: Is it healthier to make your own ice cream? The truth is it actually is. You can make the ice cream with natural ingredients, with no processed items. You can use eggs, natural cream, and much more to create that healthy aspect along with some great taste.
Convenience: Having your own ice cream maker with you means that you can make your own ice cream anytime you want. Don’t feel like going out? Don’t want to go to the store? Well, you can just make your own ice cream. That is what is great about making your own ice cream. It is available for you to do anytime, and anywhere. It is one of the biggest advantages of ice cream maker.
What to look for in an ice cream maker
When the time comes that you should be looking for best ice cream maker, there are many things to look for. It is not as simple as just going and buying an ice cream maker. You want to get one that is going to do what you want it to do, work like you want it to work and serve you for years to come. Failing to buy the right ice cream maker means wasted money and wasted time, and no one wants that.
The first thing to consider is the fact that you have two different types of machines, in terms of how it stores the ice cream.
Which Type of bowl?
Freezer Bowl Machine
This machine uses an insulated bowl that has to come out of the freezer before you start making the ice cream. It goes into the ice cream maker where a motorized mixer sits on top and churns the mixture up in the bowl. These can be a good idea, and they are cheaper, but the problem is that you need to plan ahead with the ice cream making. It will take between eight and 20 hours to make the ice cream when the freezing of the bowl is taken into consideration.
Pros: The pros of this machine is that it is cheap, and it is smaller than the freezer models.
Cons: The bowl needs to fit into the freezer, and there is the time to freeze the bowl to take into consideration.
Built-in Freezer Machines
These machines are more expensive because an element in the ice cream maker cools the bowl within minutes to the right temperature to make the ice cream. This is much more convenient because you can enjoy the ice cream within minutes, not hours.
Pros: No need to pre-freeze, which would make ice cream batches quicker to make.
Cons: They take up more space and are expensive.
There are many different kinds of ice cream makers available to buy. They all come with different types of features that make for positives and negatives.
Gel Canister: This type of ice cream maker uses a container that you put in the freezer for 24 hours before you eat the ice cream. Many of these makers actually come with two different tubs, which allows you to make two flavors at once.
Compressor: This is the most common type of ice cream maker and the one that uses the built-in freezer to make ice cream quickly and easily. You can make one batch of ice cream right after the first batch and continue.
Traditional: If you are old school, you can use the hand or electric crank type of ice cream maker. You turn the crank and that will mix up the ice cream and churn it. It will take about 20 to 30 minutes of turning to make the ice cream. It is intensive, but it is actually a rewarding way to make ice cream. You will really enjoy it knowing how much work was put into it.
Portable: If you are out and about and want to make ice cream, you can get a portable ice cream maker. You put the ingredients into the container and then you shake and roll the ball inside the container around until ice cream is formed. It is time intensive, but it also a great way to get ice cream when you are camping or on a long road trip.
Soft Serve: There are ice cream makers that make soft serve ice cream specifically, which a lot of people prefer. Some even come with a dispenser that allows you to add sprinkles, and even a cone holder. These tend to be very popular versions of the ice cream maker.
The ice cream maker will take up only a bit of space in your cupboard. The smallest of the ice cream makers will cover the same amount of space as a kettle. The largest of ice cream makers will take up the space of a food processor. As for the freezer bowls, these will be the size of a dinner plate, which can be a problem if you have a limited space in the freezer. The built-in freezer models of ice cream makers can be boxy and heavy, making them more difficult to move and fit into spaces when not being used.
The ice cream capacity of the ice cream maker can vary. The smallest of the ice cream makers will make around 720 mL of ice cream, while larger ice cream makers will make over two liters. The recipe books that come with the ice cream makers will dictate exactly how much it makes, and everything that you need to make the ice cream in terms of ingredients.
Looking at how much to spend, it is going to vary greatly depending on the type of ice cream maker you are buying. Generally, the higher end of ice cream makers is going to cost you upwards of $300 to $350, while lower end will cost you around $100 or less. The machines that give you greater convenience are going to cost more money. That convenience comes at a cost.
There are several excellent brands that you can choose from. These brands make good and quality products, and are what you should look for when you are buying an ice cream maker.
Cuisinart: This company sells many different types of ice cream makers, and they are often nice and small and compact for easy storage.
Whynter: This ice cream maker brand typically makes makers that can create ice cream within 20 to 40 minutes. They also make frozen yogurt, gelato and sorbet.
Deni: This company makes crush candy as well as ice cream. Typically, the ice cream in their makers takes 10 to 20 minutes to make, and will be dishwasher safe as well, the bowl we mean.
Nostalgia: This company makes four-quart ice cream maker machines, and they also have old-fashioned styling that helps to give your kitchen very unique sense of décor.
Before you buy
Once you know the type of machine that you want, you need to start checking out a few things before you buy the ice cream maker.
First of all, ice cream recipes typically call for a custard base that is chilled. This base consists of egg yolk, sugar and cream. This cannot just be put into the ice cream maker and mixed together. It is not like a bread maker and it will not work like that. Instead, you will have to mix everything by hand and then put it into the ice cream maker.
If you want to have hard ice cream, you need to freeze it. When you make ice cream in an ice cream maker, it is going to be rather soft. Soft ice cream is great but it melts a lot faster and can make more of a mess on a hot summer’s day. In order to have hard ice cream, you need to put it in the freezer for a few hours. So, you have to make sure that your freezer is going to be able to handle the freezing of the ice cream. Some freezers aren’t able to do this.
In addition, if you have a stand mixer, it may already be able to make the ice cream you want. If it has an ice cream maker attachment, you can actually just use that and save a lot of space within your kitchen. Some mixers will come with a freezable bowl, which you can use to freeze the ice cream in the freezer. Before you do anything, double check that your current mixer can make ice cream.
The Best ICE CREAM MAKER
The best option for you if you want a great ice cream maker is the Cuisinart ICE-30BC Pure Indulgence Ice Cream Maker. This maker is priced extremely affordable but you get a lot out of it for that low price. If you just want to casually make your own ice cream, this is the best option. Some of the great features from this ice cream maker are:
- It is completely automatic and will make not only ice cream, but sorbet and frozen yogurt.
- It has a heavy duty but quiet motor, and everything is housed in a stainless steel casing.
- The ingredient spout allows you to add in your own favorite mixings.
- The freezer bowl is double-insulated and will hold two-quarts of ice cream for you.
- Unlike other makers of the same price, this one allows you to add in all the ingredients and it will make the ice cream for you. There is no need to mix the ingredients by hand before you put it into the ice cream maker.
- It only takes 25 minutes to have some excellent ice cream.
Making your own ice cream can be fun and rewarding. You will save money, and you will be a hero for your kids when you can make them ice cream whenever they want it. Is it a hot day and you don’t feel like going outside? Well, you can make your own ice cream and enjoy a day at home. Not only that, the ice cream you make will be healthy and very tasty.
Follow this guide and you won’t be disappointed with the ice cream that you make. Enjoy your ice cream, and enjoy saving money with your own ice cream maker.